P7’s test out STEM Go Kart

After months of work and a bit later than hoped, Mackena and Jack finally had the opportunity to test drive the STEM Go Kart just before they leave St John’s. Despite no battery attached yet, both Mackena and Jack enjoyed the experience of steering and braking the Kart. We hope to finish off the kart after Summer and add a body shell to finish the look! Thank you to the Parent Council for funding our project, we think it has been well worth it!

Go Kart Build Update

Yesterday we were attaching the seat to the Kart and we have also started to attach the rollcage. We are beginning to see how the Go Kart will look after it is built. There a few things to do yet, including the wiring and check the steering and a general quality inspection.

We would appreciate the services of a mechanic or someone mechanically minded to help us with our final checks some time after Easter!

STEM Go kart update

This week we built the motor cage, attached the motor belt to the rear axle and attached the motor cage to the chassis. We worked well as a team to communicate and problem solve. Harry solved the issue of attaching the belt to the axle and the whole team confidently used spanners to secure the bolts. Next time we plan to insert the seat and attach the rollcage to the go kart chassis.

Go Kart update

29th January

Today we started working on the brakes of the Go-kart. We hammered a metal pin into the pole which connects with the wheels to keep them in place. It took a lot of hammering even from Mr Burgess but eventually we did it.

Next was the hand brake like the ones on your bike, we found it hard at first to connect the wire but Kier figured it out and the hand brake was ready. Finally it was time to connect the wire to the back brake it was pretty hard to but me and Mr Burgess figured it out.

Next week the P6s will put the back brake in properly and then me and Kier will do I think something to do with putting some wires in their places.

By Imman P7A

20190129_150527

Go Kart build back on track

After a few weeks delay, two members of the go kart build group helped get us back on track fitting the rear axle. Greenpower did a great job sending a replacement axle after the initial one was too wide at one end.

Sophia and Harry managed to attach the axle and secure it to the chassis. They found it a little difficult to tighten the nuts but persevered and did a great job!

Next week P7 will begin the throttle and brake work before we begin building the motor cage.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.