Eco Meeting – Wednesday 7th November

  • Register: Absent/apologies: Oceane, John, Daniel, Murray
  • Welcome – Mr Burgess welcomed the reps and explained that he has collected all the evidence from last year and sent it to Keep Scotland Beautiful to apply for a new Eco Flag. We expect that we will hear back from them soon and hopefully we will have a nice new flag to fly on our new flagpole next to the Astro pitch. Mr Burgess explained that he is going to focus on other things this year, and that Ms Mitchell will be helping to organise the eco committee. He thanked everyone for their work so far and told the reps that he is excited to see their work this year.
  • Aims of the Group – We looked at the Ten Topics that we can explore this year in our Eco meetings. Ms Mitchell introduced the Environmental Review – a document which will help us to choose what topic we will focus on this year. Reps will help Ms Mitchell to complete this over the coming weeks.
  • Ideas from the reps – Some reps shared some ideas that they already have for making the school more eco-friendly. Ellen highlighted that litter can be an issues, and Gabriella and Hannah suggested a litter picking group. This is something we will think about and discuss next meeting. Gabriella asked if reps could have badges so that everyone knows they are the reps, Ms Mitchell explained that she will have them ready for next meeting.
  • Work for next meeting – Ms Mitchell gave out some examples of Eco-Codes, reps can use these as inspiration to design their own. We will review them next meeting and decide on one to be displayed around the school.
  • Some reps needed to leave early, but photographs were taken of the remaining reps to go on the Eco board. Ms Mitchell will take photos of the other reps at a later date.

Next meeting will be in early December 2018

ECO meeting notes June 2018

ECO meeting Tuesday 12th June

REGISTER

Apologies –None

Mr Burgess welcomed all the ECO reps to the meeting and explained that the purpose of today’s gathering was to share our evidence of Global Goals that we have gathered over the course of the session.

P3 began by sharing their wonderful litter collecting book which included maths work and also supported SCIAF. Emilia and Murray explained what the children had enjoyed about their challenge and how they had made a difference to the life of the school. Mr Burgess thanked the Primary 3 pupils very much and asked the children to pass on his thanks to their teachers for all their hard work.

Primary 5 shared their Sewage recycling poster and talked about their visit from Mark Keast, manager at the Seafield Sewage works. Both Sam and Teemo spoke clearly as they explained the process of recycling our sewage and the benefits of using the gases to create electricity to run the plant. Mr Burgess thanked the P5 pupils for their input and again passed on his thanks to the Primary 5 teachers.

Primary 6 shared their letters to football companies with the group. These persuasive letters were composed in order to highlight the benefits of Fairtrade and tackle the Reduce Inequalities Global Goal. Hannah, Gabriela, Skye and Anna explained that they had had some responses from companies which weren’t very clear or easy to understand. Mr Burgess thanked the girls for sharing their work with the group.

Primary 7 shared their adverts and posters about renewable energy, Joe, Himmat, Kerry, Misha and Julia all shared their work and explained a little about how Geo thermal energy is a good way of producing renewable energy. The children in the group were able to name the other main renewable energy types including solar, wind, wave and hydro power. Mr Burgess thanked the pupils and their teachers for their work.

Mr Burgess explained that the evidence would be put together with other pieces of work to highlight the ECO teams efforts over the course of this year and last year. This would include pictures from the garden which is looking lovely this year. This would take the form of a Powerpoint which will be submitted to KeepScotlandBeautiful in the hope we would qualify for another Green Flag.

The children talked about the new school and the importance of ensuring no litter was dropped. Lots of ideas were shared about how to make sure children were responsible.

Mr Burgess thanked all the Eco reps for their hard work and closed the final meeting of the year.

 

 

ECO group meeting May 2018

ECO meeting Tuesday 22nd May

REGISTER

No Apologies

Mr Burgess welcomed all the reps to the meeting. Mr Burgess explained that although we have entered several competitions this year, we have had no responses from those entries.

Mr Burgess asked what the Global goals were. We recapped several of these including No poverty, zero hunger, quality education and reduced inequalities.

Mr Burgess asked the reps how we look after our bodies and be active. The children confidently explained that we have active schools after school clubs, 2.5 hours of PE each week, balanced diets in school dinners and Health week each year.

Mr Burgess explained that some children don’t have a quality education due to lack of food. Mary’s Meals help over 1 million children each day have a hot meal at school which means they are able to go to school and learn.

Mr Burgess explained that at the beginning of the school year each year stage were asked to study a global goal and produce evidence to support our ECO Green Flag reaccreditation. In two weeks, pupils will be asked to share their learning with their peers in the ECO group either by creating a poster, presenting a short talk or bringing along some evidence of their learning.

AOCB

Our main concern raised today by the children was the amount of litter that has gathered, mainly on the astro pitch over the past few weeks. Sam thought when the gate was open litter could be blown onto the astro and then gather in the goals. Mr Burgess was concerned that children were dropping litter as they played on the astro. Samuel thought we should have three strikes and you’re out, with people losing points if they dropped litter three times. Other reps thought we should reward people for putting litter in the bin with house points.

Mr Burgess closed the meeting after 11.55am and our next meeting will be in two weeks.

St John’s ECO group Meeting March 2018

ECO meeting Tuesday 6th March 2018

REGISTER

No Apologies

Mr Burgess welcomed all the reps to the meeting. Following on from the snow and rain Mr Burgess asked the reps how the weather conditions affect us. We discussed flooding and the amount of building on green sites. Mr Burgess introduced the idea of bringing nature indoors and showed a short powerpoint presentation about IKEA’s competition to design an indoor nature space.

Mr Burgess asked how can we make a green space in our new school?

Do we use recycled materials to hold plants or as a new school do we design another way to bring nature inside?

Children were told the options of making a model, drawing a picture, photograph or painting their idea. It’s the idea which wins, not picture.

Children saw some pictures of innovative use of green space indoors as inspiration. It was agreed that each child would draw an original design of their own choosing for next Tuesday and meet at 9.30am in the ICT suite to briefly share these ideas and decide on a winning design. All children would then draw their own version of the design and we would submit these to the competition.

We have also signed up to recycle pen and ink materials as part of the BIC writing instruments recycling programme. We have applied to become a BIC community champion location which means people could drop off their recyclable stationery into school but are yet to hear if we have been accepted. We will in the meantime, we will design our own recycle box, decorate it and ECO reps will encourage pupils and staff to recycle pen materials.

Mr Burgess closed the meeting after 10am and our next meeting will be in the ICT suite Tuesday 13th March at 9.30 for only 15 minutes to choose our favourite design.

If any children in classes are desperate to submit their own ideas they can do so before Tuesday’s meeting and we will consider all entries.

https://www.terracycle.co.uk/en-GB/brigades/the-writing-instruments-brigade-r

ikea-makers-of-green-spaces-brief__1364490045510