Parent Council Meeting minutes August 2018

St John’s RC Primary School Parent Council

Minutes from Meeting 30th August 2018

1. Welcome, introduction and apologies

Present; Jo Worrall – Chair, Colin Wood – Treasurer, Barbara Service – Head teacher, Jackie Kelly- Deputy Head, 1 Teacher, 23 parents

Apologises: Mary Campbell

Action Points;

1.Minutes from last meeting approved

2. New Year New Dynamics; discussed what parent support is needed.

Child care during parent/teacher meeting – discussed possibility of Oscar’s school club to help out, Sharon to enquiry if this would be possible. Any parent whom wishes to get involved will require to be to be PVG

Barbara & Jackie requested any parent wishing to help out in specialised areas such as art work, drama, reading or any new/interesting activities for kids, to get in touch with the school. The new school has the facilities to offer/allow this to happen.

3. Building Update/Playground

Opening off the school was a great success, children, teachers and parents are embracing the new school. There were teething problems such as phones and technology on the first week and minor works are continuing throughout the school after hours.

Concern was raised from parents with the lack of play space for the children. It was proposed to contact the council in support with the school to request sole access during school hours to the school pupils. This would be the park space directly behind the school.Barbara/Jo will discuss in more detail with Mary Campbell, she has offered support on this matter.

Barbara highlighted some of the continuing works to the school include smaller play areas to the front and side of the school. There are decisions to be made on designs of these spaces. Barbara to keep the council updated on this matter.

Library not open yet and books are still required Barbara

4.Fundraising Update Including proposed events for the year from Sharon McLeay

Porty Village Fair – 2nd of September, parent’s council will have a stall selling the remaining merchandise and a slime stall, volunteers required.

Halloween Disco – date set for the 28th of October 2018, volunteers will be required to help out for the event.

Christmas Event – council would like to hold an event, details to follow

Movie Night – will be held again in 2019

Ceilidh Night – Barbara shared information on a band who would be available for September time. It was suggested to sell family tickets for the event, duration 2-2.5 hours and to provide refreshments. Barbara/PC to discuss further

5. Treasurer’s Report Colin Wood

Colin provided an update on recent grant applications and treasurers report, see attached word documents for updates.

CW requested an email or written confirmation of any funding required by the school for the next school year. AP- BS/JK to confirm

6. School PC Funds for 2018/19 Colin Wood

See attached report by Colin

7. Parking

Police Officer attended the meeting to give advice and listen to parents concerns. Parking an ongoing issue but problems raised:

– Hamilton Drive residents experiencing major problem with cars driving on road for drop offs during the times the amber lights are flashing. Parents have witnessed cars parking inappropriately and acting dangerously. They requested police presence to help resolve the problems. Officer suggested to request from the council extra signage on both sides of the street & for outside the school.

– Linage for the current and extra bike lanes requested. Officer suggested to request council to put extra street linage to be added outside the school

– The officer suggested the school to run a competition with the children to design a parking tickets to place on the cars outside the school. He offered to come to speak with the children, Barbara

– Drop & Hug lane idea was suggested to be introduced for drops off by the parents

8. School Coms

9. Projects

Gardening club to continue through the year and it was discussed the funding would continue from the council. AP – JW & SMcL to meet with Tana to seek costs for 2018/19. These will be reviewed at the next PC.

Mr Burgess Go-kart initiative by Mr Burgess was approved for the basic goblin go-kart to be purchased. He will carry this out over lunch time

10. Healthy Snack Leaflet was distributed around the meeting for parents’ comments. It is proposed to place leaflet into children’s school bags to bring home, Jo

11. A parents Topic Event – Jo suggest an informative event for parents such as; how to protect children on line, to be held in the school Jo

12. Communication from School; it was highlighted not all parents were getting communication via e-mails, a letter will be sent to parents regarding this Jackie

Barbara shared her Retirement News at the council meeting, she is due to leave her post in September.

Next meeting date will be posted on face book for the AGM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s