In P4B we have just finished a topic called Houses and Homes. We had a chat today and decided that we have learned lots about houses and homes.
The topic was interesting, fun and sometimes surprising.
We were creative when we prepared our class talks as we all did different things. We gave talks about Crannogs, Crofts and Castles. Some people made models, or drew lovely pictures or created Power Points to help them to give their talks. In class we painted spooky castles.
The best part of the topic was visiting Edinburgh castle.
These are some of the things we have learned.
- the names of different types of houses
- about different types of historical Scottish houses, like crannogs crofts, palaces and castles
- life in a castle was not always easy
- houses can be amazing and weird
- houses can be built anywhere
- street names are all different
- crannogs are on stilts
- houses can be different shapes and sizes
- houses are safe places for us to be
- houses are places to have fun and be with our families
- most castles can be haunted
- houses and homes can be built with many different kinds of materials
- lots of castles have a story to tell
- castles are built on a hill for defence
- the first castles were Motte and Bailey castles and were made of wood
- crofts were usually rented pieces of land
- Norman the conqueror taught us how to build stronger castles that were made out of stone
We think that we worked hard and learned a lot !